John F. Peto, 1854-1907In the Library, 1894-1900Oil on canvas, 76.2 x 101.6 cm (30 x 40 in.)John F. Peto received his training at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, where he also exhibited his work from 1870 to 1887. Following a move to Island Heights, New Jersey, in 1889, Peto ceased to exhibit and ultimately was forgotten. The books and pamphlets in this painting are indicative of the worn and slightly battered commonplace objects favored by Peto. The use of soft light and subdued colors-punctuated by areas of bright blue and orange-is typical of the artist's style, which imbues this composition with its rather somber, elegiac mood. Provenance:Private collection, Philadelphia, reportedly by family descent for four generations, ca. 1900–1999 [documented from ca. 1931 as with Harriet EdkinsTo her daughter Helen Edkins Campbell, 1973To J. Stewart Campbell, her husband, 1977To James S. Campbell and Harriet R. Campbell Young, their children, 1999]Kennedy Galleries, New York, 1999Acquired by the Putnam Foundation, 2000



 

John F. Peto, 1854-1907
In the Library, 1894-1900
Oil on canvas, 76.2 x 101.6 cm (30 x 40 in.)

John F. Peto received his training at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, where he also exhibited his work from 1870 to 1887. Following a move to Island Heights, New Jersey, in 1889, Peto ceased to exhibit and ultimately was forgotten. The books and pamphlets in this painting are indicative of the worn and slightly battered commonplace objects favored by Peto. The use of soft light and subdued colors-punctuated by areas of bright blue and orange-is typical of the artist's style, which imbues this composition with its rather somber, elegiac mood. 

Provenance:

Private collection, Philadelphia, reportedly by family descent for four generations, ca. 1900–1999 [documented from ca. 1931 as with Harriet Edkins
To her daughter Helen Edkins Campbell, 1973
To J. Stewart Campbell, her husband, 1977
To James S. Campbell and Harriet R. Campbell Young, their children, 1999]
Kennedy Galleries, New York, 1999Acquired by the Putnam Foundation, 2000