Philippe de Champaigne, 1602-1674Christ Healing the Blind, ca. 1655-60Oil on canvas, 102.2 x 141.9 cm (40-1/4 x 55-7/8 in.)Basing his painting on the parable of Christ healing the blind in Matthew 20: 29-34, Phillipe de Champaigne shows Christ pointing his right hand to–and healing-two blind men, kneeling on the far left. The artist was chiefly known early in his career for his deeply felt religious paintings and solemn portraits. In his later years, Champaigne painted a number of landscapes, an interest revealed in this work with its emphasis on the outdoor setting of the parable. Beyond the grotto shaded by towering trees where Christ stands, a broad placid river fills the middle distance. A bridge leads to a walled town and to the steep promontory and imposing mountains in the distance.Provenance:Studio of Philippe de ChampaigneInherited by his nephew Jean-Baptiste de ChampaigneMme Gentil de Chavagnac, her sale, Paris, Galerie Labrun, June 20, 1854, pp. 37–39The dukes of Ferrari de Galliera, near DijonInherited by a niece of the last duke, Mlle de la RenotièreAcquired by the Putnam Foundation, 1967



Philippe de Champaigne, 1602-1674
Christ Healing the Blind, ca. 1655-60
Oil on canvas, 102.2 x 141.9 cm (40-1/4 x 55-7/8 in.)

Basing his painting on the parable of Christ healing the blind in Matthew 20: 29-34, Phillipe de Champaigne shows Christ pointing his right hand to–and healing-two blind men, kneeling on the far left. The artist was chiefly known early in his career for his deeply felt religious paintings and solemn portraits. In his later years, Champaigne painted a number of landscapes, an interest revealed in this work with its emphasis on the outdoor setting of the parable. Beyond the grotto shaded by towering trees where Christ stands, a broad placid river fills the middle distance. A bridge leads to a walled town and to the steep promontory and imposing mountains in the distance.

Provenance:

Studio of Philippe de Champaigne
Inherited by his nephew Jean-Baptiste de Champaigne
Mme Gentil de Chavagnac, her sale, Paris, Galerie Labrun, June 20, 1854, pp. 37–39
The dukes of Ferrari de Galliera, near Dijon
Inherited by a niece of the last duke, Mlle de la Renotière
Acquired by the Putnam Foundation, 1967