The Magdalene Master and an Unknown Florentine Painter, end 13th-early 14th centuryMadonna and Child and Two Angels, with Twelve Scenes from the Passion, ca. 1310Tempera on panel, 67.3 x 179.4 cm (26-1/2 x 70-5/8 in.)In medieval art, paintings were usually part of a larger work, for example, a mural painted on a church or monastery wall. During the thirteenth century, individual wood panels that illustrated church doctrine and scenes from the life of Christ began to appear in Florence, Siena, and other Italian towns. The central image of this panel, depicting the Madonna and Child, was among the last works by an artist known today as the Magdalene Master. The style of this image differs from the style of the 12 scenes of the Passion on either side, which were painted by an unknown Florentine artist.Provenance:Santa Maria dei Candeli, Florence (?)Mr. F., 1930 (per Richter 1930)Piero Tozzi, New York (per Garrison 1946)Jacob Hirsch, New York, by 1946T. S. Hyland, Greenwich, ConnecticutAcquired by the Putnam Foundation, 1967



The Magdalene Master and an Unknown Florentine Painter, end 13th-early 14th century
Madonna and Child and Two Angels, with Twelve Scenes from the Passion, ca. 1310
Tempera on panel, 67.3 x 179.4 cm (26-1/2 x 70-5/8 in.)

In medieval art, paintings were usually part of a larger work, for example, a mural painted on a church or monastery wall. During the thirteenth century, individual wood panels that illustrated church doctrine and scenes from the life of Christ began to appear in Florence, Siena, and other Italian towns. The central image of this panel, depicting the Madonna and Child, was among the last works by an artist known today as the Magdalene Master. The style of this image differs from the style of the 12 scenes of the Passion on either side, which were painted by an unknown Florentine artist.

Provenance:

Santa Maria dei Candeli, Florence (?)
Mr. F., 1930 (per Richter 1930)
Piero Tozzi, New York (per Garrison 1946)
Jacob Hirsch, New York, by 1946
T. S. Hyland, Greenwich, Connecticut
Acquired by the Putnam Foundation, 1967