|Hours of Operation:
|Wednesday - Sunday from 10:00am - 5:00pm
|The Museum is closed New Year's Day, Easter, July 4th, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.
|Upcoming Special Hours & Closures:
Wednesday, 01/24/24: Closed due to unforeseen circumstances
We look forward to welcoming you to the jewel box of Balboa Park. As part of our mission, the Timken is committed to offering the best possible environment for our visitors while ensuring the preservation of our museum's collection for the enjoyment of generations to come.
To achieve this, we require your cooperation with the following Visitor Guidelines. Please note the Timken reserves the right to require that any visitor not following the guidelines or instructions of staff and security or acting in an unacceptable or inappropriate manner leave the premises.
All children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
Children cannot be carried in backpack carriers, on the shoulders, nor on the back.
Possession of weapons of any kind are prohibited in the museum.
The Timken provides a complimentary check room for the following items not allowed in the galleries:
- Backpacks and large bags larger than 12″ x 16″. This includes luggage, larger backpacks, shopping bags, and larger purses
- Selfie-sticks, tripods, monopods, and photography lighting equipment
We reserve the right to not allow any bag or item in the galleries and to deal with unattended objects as we consider appropriate.
All bags, parcels and strollers may be subject to inspection.
- Eating and drinking are not permitted in the museum. Food and beverages must be fully concealed or stored at the designated area near the Front Desk.
- Smoking, including electronic cigarettes and vaping devices, is not allowed in the museum.
- Non-flash photography is allowed except where otherwise noted. Selfie sticks, tripods, monopods, and photography lighting equipment is not permitted.
- Please observe the gray lines on the floor and do not extend hands, feet, or cameras beyond the lines. Paintings and other works are fragile and can be easily damaged.
- Help us conserve the solitude of the museum. We encourage discussions of the artwork with your family and friends, but please be respectful to others who are reflecting on the artwork. Conversations on cell phones, yelling in the galleries is not permitted.
- Running and other physical activity that may cause injury, or damage to the artworks, is not permitted.
- The Timken has a zero-tolerance policy for abusive, obscene, discriminatory distracting behaviors. Language/disruptive behaviors or attire that could detract from the experience of others is not permitted.
- We reserve the right to deny entry to any person.
OTHER IMPORTANT VISITOR INFORMATION
Mobility Devices and Strollers
Electric scooters, wheelchairs, or other mobility aids are welcome. Strollers are welcome in the Timken. Wagons or other carriages that are pulled from the front are not allowed.
Photography and video are allowed without a flash unless otherwise noted.
The Timken does not have public restrooms. The nearest are within a three-minute walk of the museum at the House of Hospitality.
Service animals are welcome. Pets and emotional support animals are not allowed inside the museum.
We document many of our programs and visitor experiences. While visiting the Timken, you may be photographed or filmed by a museum staff member. The footage may be used in promotional materials, including advertisements, brochures, social media, and on our website.